0800 6127 128     24 Hrs Every Day     Unit 7, 19 Greenwood Place, London NW5 1LB.
With FREE Legal Aid We'll Help You Reduce or Eliminate Your Fine - No Cost
Contact us
Fine Remittal

We may be able to help reduce your fine to £0 (complete remittal) or significantly reduce your fine.

Have you received a letter similar to any of the below?  If so why not contact us today to see if we can help with complete fine remittal or fine reduction.  It is important that you do not ignore any correspondence from the court. Your case may be eligible for legal aid meaning our services will be FREE of charge. Why not give us a call for some free advice.

Examples of common court correspondence












All images shown are subject to Crown Copyright.  Image Credits:  UK Crown Copyright. Images have been redacted to protect individual information, these images are for demonstration purposes only.


How do we reduce your fine or remit it completely?

Leslie Franks can represent you/your case by appealing to the court. Using Section 85 of the Magistrates Court Act of 1980 we can remit/reduce your fine (see https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/43/section/85).  In most cases, fines that are issued in the absence of the defendant are “excessive” in that they have been calculated based on the courts assumptions of income. This can often lead to penalties/fines well in excess of what they would have been had the court had correct information (usually ascertained via a means test).

How are court fines enforced?

Court fines are enforced via Section 10 [5] and [5] of the Criminal Justice & Police Act of 2001.

What other penalties might a court impose to compensate for a complete remittal?

In cases where the court exercises its right to remit a fine under Section 85 of the Magistrates Court Act of 1980, the court may instead impose a “short term detention” within the grounds of the court house or police station. Under section 135 of the Magistrates Court Act of 1980 the court may order the defendant to remain in the precincts of the court-house or police station for a varying number of hours, this can be anything from 1 hour to a day (up until 8PM in the evening).

So, for example, Leslie Franks may get the fine reduced or remitted using section 85 & have the Court impose Courthouse detention, say for example the client has to remain in the precincts of the Court for 2-3 hours, using section 135, to reduce the costs & victims surcharge to £0.

What happens if you can’t have my fine remitted?

In some cases where we may not be able to have the fine remitted we may be able to significantly reduce your fine + help you setup a payment plan where you can pay a court fine by instalments. In cases where we’ve had a fine reduced the fine reductions can be as much as 50-80%+, you can see examples of fines we’ve had remitted / reduced on our case studies page.

What are fines composed of?

A single fine is usually made up of various costs, these are:

  1. The Fine Itself
  2. Costs
  3. Victims Surcharge
  4. Compensation

* Compensation is typically the cost of whatever was avoided leading up to the offence i.e. bus fare or TFL tickets etc.

Will I have to complete a means test?

This is dependant on the circumstances of the case, generally a means test will be required to ascertain what level of fine should be imposed based on your income. Completing a means form is a statutory obligation. It is a criminal offence to knowingly provide false information which can lead to greater penalties or even imprisonment. (See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/43/section/84).

What happens if I continue to ignore court correspondence?

If you do not address the matter the penalties may become far greater. Initial penalties usually result in an increased fine, ongoing cases may lead to an arrest warrant being issued which could lead to a term of imprisonment. If you are currently in a situation where you have an arrest warrant or a committal to prison it is important you contact us so that we can assist. (See Can you go to jail for not paying a fine.)

I started paying the fine but then my financial circumstances changed and since I’ve stopped paying the fine

This isn’t uncommon, often peoples lives change, this can include job losses or a change in financial circumstance meaning that your affordability is reduced. In such cases we can have the case reopened with the court to re-evaluate your income + expenditure, in most cases the fine will be significantly reduced or quashed on the condition that the defendant remains within the precincts of the court.

I’ve been ignoring the fine so long, now I’m worried I’ll be arrested

Even if you have ignored the fine, letters and correspondence out of fear, we can represent you to have your case taken back to court. We’ll be able to help you through the process of resolving the fine itself with the court. Even if you are at the stage of arrest warrant in most cases we can have this lifted providing that a payment arrangement or means test is carried out.

How much are our services? Will I be charged for help?

Our service costs are generally covered by legal aid. If you contact us we can assess your case and eligibility of legal aid. Cases covered by legal aid are free, and there’s a very high chance that we’ll either be able to completely remit your fine or have it reduced significantly.

How We Can Help You With Your Fine
Can't Pay My Fine can assess your case to find out if you are entitled to FREE Legal Aid with no prior costs involved. We can have your fine reduced or remitted to £0.
Our team are available 24 hours...
December 28, 2017
Read More >
Get help reducing what you pay...
December 27, 2017
Read More >
Our service utilises legal aid which...
December 26, 2017
Read More >
Why not give us a call...
December 25, 2017
Read More >